Monday, November 23, 2015

As You Get Dressed Today

Once upon a time I was that girl:  the super fashionable, trendy, spend 10 hours walking in heels kind of girl.  Outfits that were layered just so, folded and tucked meticulously, and accessorized with the cutest jewelry… all done like it was my business. Because it was.  The longer I was working for the fashion retailer the more perfected my wardrobe became.  I loved helping women pull off a great new look, often selling the most of whatever I was wearing that day because honestly, people need help visualizing a “look”.  Nowadays I go to my closet and stare at my clothes for a very long time.  It’s not because I have too much to choose from (though I certainly could use a good closet cleanse), but because it’s an odd blend of what once was fashionable and the clothes I now tend to wear.  You know the kind:  the “I won’t cry if you get a little snot, puke, hole, tear, or spaghetti on it” kind.  There’s no doubt that I have adjusted my wardrobe to suit my lifestyle as a mom with little ones.  There are different clothes for different seasons, but there are clothes suitable as a Christian that we should always wear.

Colossians 3:12 (NIV)
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Getting dressed (or not) is a daily decision!  Did you choose to dress yourself in compassion today?  How about patience?  Perhaps patience was that scarf you decided to scrap the moment you got in the car with the kids. Most days this laundry list (no pun intended) seems a little hard to put on!  Really God?  Compassion AND kindness AND humility AND gentleness AND patience AND forgiveness?  If this feels a bit overwhelming to you too- like the kind of closet you stare at feeling incapable of getting it all together: there’s good news!

Colossians 3:9b-10 (NIV)
Since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 

Your wardrobe, should you choose to wear it, will be renewed to look just as the designer who made it!  Really, no need to stress out over keeping up with the latest trends, our Creator will supply you with all that you need to know to piece together ALL of those ANDs. 

I do have a CAUTION for you though:  while working at said retailer, I found myself becoming critical of other brands!  When a customer would come into the store sporting a pair of our competitors jeans I was quick to make a judgement about their “lack of style”.  Seems silly, right?  Unfortunately, we do this on a spiritual level too!  We make judgements about the compassion someone forgot to put on today, or how rude someone was despite their "I love Jesus" bumper sticker.  Let’s be careful that we’re not quick to criticize what each other are or aren’t wearing and rather focus on whether or not we got the WHOLE outfit together.  We are called to give a loving nudge when a close brother or sister in Christ is having a wardrobe malfunction, but not criticize (remember:  this requires us to be gracious when we get a loving nudge from a friend that can spot when we're having a wardrobe malfunction).

Colossians 3:14 (NIV)
And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

We can dress ourselves in these virtues, but without love it all falls flat.  Like that statement piece that brings the whole outfit together:  put on love.  So today, as you rise, put on compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, and forgiveness.  And once we’ve done that, unify it with love, because this is the final piece that will bring the rest of it together.  It is this outfit that will draw the attention of the world (see Col 3:1-11).  These virtues will draw attention:  and the more you wear it, the more comfortable it will feel… and the people around you will begin to ask where they can get that “look” too.

Father, today as I rise I pray that you will renew my thinking that I would look like you today.  Please give me the compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience and forgiveness to dress myself in.  Father, I pray that you would help me to put on love, especially in times when I don’t feel loving.  Please give me a gentle reminder throughout my day of adjustments I need to make, and help me to be bold in speaking to who you are when others take notice.  In Jesus’ name, amen.
 
xo,

Jackie E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read More

When God No Shows

When I was in fourth grade I was SO excited to get glasses!  I thought they were cool (this is in the early 90's- we defined cool).  By ...